Thursday, June 30, 2011

Three Things on Thursday

#1- I got a Sonicare toothbrush a few weeks ago. And I am in love with it...  It's AMAZING. The first time I used it, it totally tickled and I couldn't stop laughing. I wasn't sure I would be able to keep using it. But it's been fine ever since. My teeth feel so clean after using it. I actually look forward to brushing my teeth. Weird, I know. Anyways, I bought it at Kohl's- it was on sale. (Because aren't all items at Kohl's ALWAYS on sale?!?) I used a 30% off store coupon I had. Plus I was able to use a $10 off coupon I had cut out of the newspaper. Needless to say, I got a great deal. If you need a new toothbrush, check it out.

#2- The Waiting Game is over! Luke met with his boss on Monday and things are starting to get ironed out with what his new job will look like. It's basically all coming together as we hoped and prayed it would. This means more responsibility for Luke, new people for him to oversee, and a raise. All good things. He is looking forward to stepping into a new, more challenging role. We are thankful for answered prayers!

#3- Someone I follow on twitter posted this video a few weeks ago. Honestly, if you chose to watch it, you will be touched. If you know me, you know that I love children. Adoption has been something that has been on my heart since I was a teenager. I believe that it's quite possible we will adopt someday. I have seen firsthand how adoption changes lives. I strongly believe that as a Christian, I am called to DO. DO SOMETHING. Not just sit back and watch. But be active and do.


I don't believe that adoption is for everyone. Right now one way we are "doing" is by supporting a child through World Vision. We have been supporting Kevin in Guatemala for 6 years. I will be honest. There have been times when money has been tight and the thought has crossed my mind that maybe we should drop this support. Then I realize how little we are actually giving. $30 a month. And Kevin has opportunities that he might never have if he wasn't a part of the World Vision program. He has access to clean water, education, nutritious food, and healthcare. And really? $30 isn't that much. I wouldn't think twice about going out to dinner and spending $30. But somehow, sometimes when we are giving $30 away, it seems like so much. And in reality, that's pretty selfish.

I would encourage you to check out Compassion or World Vision and look into sponsoring a child. One thing we hope to do as our children get a little older is to sponsor a child close to their age and have them be a part of the process. Let them write letters to our sponsored child and help our children learn about the rest of the world- and how so many other people live. To learn to be grateful for what we have. And to learn to share what we have with others...

This is a really touching video of a man who was sponsored  as a child through Compassion. He tells about how Compassion changed his life- and at the end of the video meets his sponsor for the first time. All I can say is, have a kleenex handy.

1 comment:

Cristina said...

I'm a loyal Sonicare gal! LOVE IT! Glad you are on the bandwagon, too. YEAH for Luke's new job! Good things to come...And I have seen that same video - very touching! I actually tried to post it but was having blogger probs that day. But led me to supporting a family called the Blocks. (Post to come soon!)