Monday, July 4, 2011

Freedom isn't free

Happy 4th of July friends! It is so easy to lose sight of what our holidays mean... We look forward to holidays often because it means a day off work and time to relax and eat! :) This 4th of July I want to have fun and enjoy the day- but stop to remember what the day stands for.

I am so thankful that I live in a country where we have so many freedoms (though some days it does feel like they are slipping away!) We have much to be thankful for... Freedom of speech. Freedom of religion. The ability to vote for those in leadership in our country and state. The right to bear arms. We have many things that we take for granted every day- that in other parts of our world are luxuries... Food. Water. A home. A bed to sleep in. Access to doctors and medicine.

One thing I am very thankful for are the men and women who have in the past and today continue to lay down their lives- defending and fighting for our freedom. Living in Colorado Springs, military is everywhere. I have had the privilege to get to know the wives of some of those defending our freedom- and they are incredible people too. Our military not only put their own lives on the line, their families pay a huge price. Being separated for months on end. Missing holidays, special events, and in some cases, missing the birth of their own children. Thank you to those of you who are in our military. I am truly grateful.

I hope you enjoy your 4th of July! Take a moment to remember what this holiday is really about... not just BBQ's and fireworks- but freedom. I found this video yesterday and really enjoyed it; I hope you do too!


No comments: