Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Gluten and Dairy Free Peanut Butter Cookies

Tonight we had dinner with a family that I knew from my trips to Guatemala. They were missionaries there years ago when Guatemala was a country I visited frequently. (True Story: I visited enough times in one year that I was stopped and questioned at immigration when returning to the U.S. because they suspected I was smuggling drugs). I went to Guatemala on mission trips, as well as to visit my friends the Ellers, who lived there as missionaries. Their teammates and neighbors were the Stiff' and I got to know them during my time in Guatemala. The Stiff's now live in Colorado, literally 5 minutes from us. Last week I ran into Nell and we made plans to have dinner this week. So tonight we went to their home for a BBQ and I volunteered to bring dessert. I made brownies and cookies. I found this recipe for gluten free and dairy free peanut butter cookies on numerous websites and the reviews were all very good. I was skeptical, but thought I would give it a try. And I am so glad I did. They. Are. Delicious.

The recipe is very easy:
1 cup sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 egg
1 tsp. baking soda

~Mix the sugar and peanut butter together first. Then add the egg and baking soda and stir until creamy. Roll the dough into small balls, about 1" in size. (I also rolled the balls in sugar before putting them on a cookie tray). Then press the dough down with a fork to flatten the cookies. Bake at 325 for 8-10 minutes. I pulled my cookies out at about 9 minutes. Let the cookies cool completely while on the cookie tray. (This is important because they are essentially still cooking a little more).

~I am sure you could add chocolate chips to this recipe to make them even more delicious. I might try adding mini chocolate chips next time.

So there you have it! Simple and delicious. And perfect for people that have food allergies. Enjoy! :)

No comments: