Thursday, June 16, 2011

Three Things on Thursday

 I have so many random things that I want to mention that don't make up their own blog post, that I decided that I would start to compile these random things each Thursday.

~I have realized this week that I *might* be a food hoarder. I counted how many boxes of cereal we have right now. 8 open boxes and 23 "back up" boxes. And it wouldn't be that bad if cereal was the only thing I stockpile. It's not. If the economy really goes south and you need food, you know where you can come.

~I have fallen in love with Apple products. When Luke got a Mac Book Pro for school almost 4 years ago, I was sort of disgusted. I had no idea how to use this foreign computer that didn't have a Windows operating system. Over time, I started using it a little. And (gasp), realized I actually liked it. Thus began my slow takeover of Luke's computer. He tells me all the time that he needs a new computer since I have confiscated his. I tell him that when money grows on trees we can afford that... So for now, we are forced to share the Mac Book Pro, while the Dell computer sits in it's computer bag like an ugly stepchild. Anyways, the other night I was watching a video on hulu and the computer screen suddenly went black. I figured that the battery must have died and plugged it in. The computer didn't come back on. I realized it was actually on, but the screen just wouldn't come on. I forced the computer to shut down and restarted it. The screen was still black. At this point, I was forced to call in Luke and let him know that I had probably broken his computer. (No reason to overreact, right?) We tried a few more things and nothing worked. I pulled out the old Dell and turned to my best friend, google, and tried to diagnose the problem. I came across a Mac forum that discussed a video card problem with Mac Book Pros that were made right around the time we purchased Luke's computer. The forum indicated that if you brought your computer to an Apple store and it was within 4 years of purchase, they would fix the problem free of charge. We hoped and prayed this was the problem. Luke made an appointment with the Genuis Bar at Apple for the following day... Much to our relief, the problem was the video card. And the cost of the repair if we were paying for it? $900. And Apple is fixing it for free. Yes, a computer that we bought almost 4 years ago. I. LOVE. APPLE.

~Pinkberry opens here in Colorado Springs today. I have never eaten at Pinkberry- though we had one in San Jose. The line was always incredibly long and all I saw was people coming out with frozen yogurt with fruit toppings. My motto is: "If it's not chocolate, it's not dessert." Thus, I never tried Pinkberry. I have since learned they do indeed have chocolate frozen yogurt and I keep hearing how good this place is. So we are going to give it a try. And guess what? Because today is their Grand Opening here in Colorado Springs, they are giving away free frozen yogurt from 5-9PM tonight. So if you live in the area, check it out. I love free- so we will be there!

4 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Emily, I'm an Apple snob myself. My life feels complete since I just got an iPhone. We have Verizon so I had to wait a LOT of years to have one. :)

Pinkberry? YUM! My kids and my husband love the chocolate flavor. Watch out, you'll be addicted. I don't think we're going tonight (despite FREE yogurt!) but we'll be there at least once this weekend.

Unknown said...

Emily, I remember when you hoarded flour in your closet when we were neighbors on Michael Drive :) I thought about you about two years ago when my pantry was infested with pantry moths and I had to throw EVERYTHING out. I thought, well at least I only had one bag of flour.
Also, have you watched extreme couponing? It was on in a store I was in the other day and it made me think of you, the coupon fairy :)

Mrs. Hawk said...

You are so funny. I love that you have all that cereal! I remember being at your house in MN and seeing your mom's pantry...the shelves were bowed because of all the stuff. Your family just cracks me up. If we lived closer I would ask to borrow some cereal...we're always running out! :)

Cristina said...

23 back up boxes of cereal?! I think you should be on TV. heehee