Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thankful

The last few months I have been reading, One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. The book is about developing a heart of thankfulness; finding blessings in every aspect in life- the exciting things, the mundane things, the good, the bad. And it has really changed the way I look at life. All of life is a gift to be cherished. (If you haven't read this book, it's worth reading. It's poetically written and not a quick read. But it makes you think and reflect and learn to look for the blessings in everyday life).

This Thanksgiving season I have much to be thankful for.

~I am thankful for the newest addition to our family- Haley Marais. She is our littlest baby yet- born at only 5lbs 9oz. She is 3 weeks old today and still not 7lbs! She is a little bundle of cuteness and we have all fallen in love with her.

~I am thankful for Luke. He is an amazing man! He's a great father to our children, he's a wonderful husband, and my best friend. There is no one I would rather walk through the journey of life with then him. It was 9 years ago on November 16th that Luke asked me to be his wife. I am so glad he asked and that I said yes. One of the best decisions of my life!

~I am thankful for our oldest, Silas. It's hard to believe he will be 6 years old in about 2 months! He is a great brother and such a fun kid. I am thankful that he loves going to school each morning and loves to learn. He is loving being apart of AWANA and learning more about Jesus.

~I am thankful for our princess, Eliana. She is 3 going on 13. She is LOVING her role as a big sister to a baby girl. She is a helper, a snuggler, and an all around wonderful girl. She loves to color, dance, wear jewelry, and paint her fingernails.

~I am thankful for our fiesty 1 year old, Levi. He is all boy- loves trains, throwing and kicking balls, screaming, and hitting. :) He has a strong will, but melts quickly when he gets a hug or gets in trouble! He is a mama's boy and we weren't sure how he would do with sharing me with a new baby. I am very thankful that he loves his baby sister and has had no issues with sharing my attention.

~I am thankful for Luke's new job and our new church. We are so thankful that Luke has a job that provides for our family and gives our whole family health benefits. Luke love his job and the team he works with. He is learning and growing in a great environment where he enjoys going to work each day and is valued and appreciated. We are so happy that Woodmen is a church that fits our family- a worship style we love, solid Biblical preaching, and a great children's ministry. We have a church home again as a family and that is something we are very thankful for.

~I am thankful that I have the opportunity to stay at home with my children. They are only young once and life is flying by. I am thankful that I get to be in the trenches each day and have an impact each day on their lives.

~I am thankful for food. I come from a food based family. Food is a central part of all family activities. There are so many who don't have the simple luxury of food. I am also thankful for water. Water that pours out of the faucet to drink, to cook with, to wash little hands, to shower.

~I am thankful for friends. Friends that I have had for a lifetime and friends who are newer. It's great to have people who really know you. Friends who support you through the good and bad- and still love you!

~I am thankful that we live in Colorado (and yes, that means I am thankful that we don't live in California. California is a great place in some aspects, and we miss many things about California- especially people! Friends, all of Luke's family, my brother, our church family. But it was not a great place for a young family to live.) We love living in a state with so many beautiful outdoor activities in our backyard. We love living in a state where we can take road trips to see family rather then always flying. We love living in a state where we can afford (to rent) a house with a yard and garage. We pay less for rent then we did for our 2 bedroom apartment in California. We love living in a state with seasons and snow (or at least I do!).

~I am thankful for my parents. My parents are our only family that live here in Colorado. They make life easier and richer on a daily basis. Our children absolutely adore them. Levi? He might actually like my dad more then he likes me and Luke. The vote is still out. As an adult, my parents are some of my best friends. And I am thankful that we get to be a part their lives on a regular basis- and that they get to be a part of ours.

~I am thankful for my siblings. They are some of my most favorite people ever. My sister? We pretty much talk every day. It's great- because with little kids running around she is someone I can abruptly end a phone call with because of a toddler meltdown. She is someone I can call for advice or to share funny stories with. My brothers? They make me laugh. They debate with me (well one brother in particular). They are great uncles. I also equally adore my brother-in-law and sister-in-law and nieces and nephews. My absolute favorite tv show is Parenthood. Seriously, I might like it more then Friends. And THAT is saying something! I cry during every episode. Every. Episode. And part of the reason is because it reminds me of my family. Since we live in 3 different states right now, I am hoping in heaven we can live next door to each other.

~I am thankful for the country we live in. It's far from perfect, yet still better then almost any other country out there. I am thankful for the men and women who put their lives on the line and sacrifice each day to keep our country free.

~I am thankful that all of these good things aren't just an accident. I am thankful for my Lord Jesus Christ- who ALL of these good things are from. I am thankful that through the known and the unknown of life I can trust in Him. I am thankful for the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross; because His death and resurrection, we can experience true LIFE. 



1 comment:

Adrian {Happy girl} said...

Hey Emily, you are so wonderful to post these great insights! I love your thankful list.

If you are interested, I gave you an award over at my blog http://happygirlsareprettygirls.blogspot.com/2013/04/liebster-blog-award.html

xoxo
Adrian